Followers

Friday, August 30, 2019

Beets, CSA bucket, & Trap

Watched the news until eight and then went out after the Detroit Red Beets.  I started on the east end by pulling up the beets.  I threw them in the isle between the eggplants and the cucumbers where the big tub for the beets was ready.   I worked both ends of the beets and beets were up and down their row.

I got the wheelbarrow and filled it up.  I put the beets in the black tub and dumped them in the wheelbarrow.  I pushed the wheelbarrow out the west door to the patio.
Here I put the beet in my left and twisted and pulled the tops off with my right hand.  I dropped the beets into a bucket and with my right hand I grabbed another beet.  I continued doing this until I had topped all the beets.
I stopped working with the beets and picked cucumbers.  All the cucumbers are burpless and all are green.  One cucumber was yellow.  I think that for some reason it is an albino fruit.
It looks kind of strange with the green ones.
I had a sprayer on the garden hose and sprayed the beets with a good water pressure which washed away all the dirt.   The beets filled two five gallon buckets.

I wrapped the best cucumber with plastic wrap and they are in the fridge in the garage.  Those that were smaller or were bent Carol took to the post office.
I also picked a bunch of eggplants.
John Dennis was going to get the beets at 8:30 this morning.  He didn't come.  I called his wife she was going to tell him.  There was a knock on the door while I was having lunch.  It was him and I had just finished cleaning the beets.  He backed his truck into our driveway.  He wasn't able to pickle the beets until Monday afternoon.  I told him that I would put them in my cooler.  There was enough room in the cooler for both buckets and the ice packs.  He will pick them up sometime Monday.
One of the zucchini plants is struggling.  Yesterday it was wilted to the ground.  I watered well.  This morning it was looking  good.  By this afternoon it was wilted  to the ground.  It had some squash bugs last week.  I killed all of them.

I filled the CSA bucket with veggies and took it to Fillmore.  I gave it to Kim Christensen at the bank.
A lot of yellow jackets are in the board on the trap is to keep the wire cone tight on the bucket.  In the bottom of the cone is a cotton glove to cover the hole in the cone so the yellow jacket from escaping.
I better idea.  The them clips holds the wire cone tight to the bucket.
Some of the yellow jackets are crawling on the sides of the bucket.
Here is a better view.
I put the sucking end of a vacuum cleaner into the bucket on top of the cone.  Some yellow jackets were sucked in.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment