Followers

Thursday, January 16, 2020

A Box for Potatoes

The dr-awers in my dresser  are so full, it is hard to put anything in.  I pulled the drawer below my sock drawer and found it full off Carol's old bank statements.  The newest was dated 2001.  Some were much older than that.  I shredded most of them and came back a little later and shredded the others.
I decided to make a wooden box for the potatoes.  I wanted to make them stackable so that they would not take up as much room.  For years we have stored them in Nursery containers.  The space between the slats would allow air circulation.

I had what I considered a good plan in my mind.  You will see the box a little later.  I cut out a lot of pieces for the corners, sides, ends and the bottom.  I hooked my pin nailer to the compressor and turned it on.  Air was leaking out of the pressure tank.  It quickly pumped up, shut off, the air slowly leaked out.  The pump turned on and leaked out again.  This process continued for some time.  I then shut it off.  I pulled of the hose and replaced it again.  I poured soapy water on it. It was leaking at the hose connection.  I replace it again and stopped the leak.    The use of glue and a pin nailer would be fast and easy.

I tested the nailer.  The nail went in part way and stuck to the nailer.  I finally got it loose, but would not work.  I tried it several times,  I let the air out of the tank and filled it again,  That didn't help.  I gave up and watched several You Tube videos.  T videos didn't help any.  I couldn't find a manual that came with it.  And by the way I got it in early January and here it is mid January now.  I watched another video that was somewhat longer than the first.  It showed how to remove a pin jam.  I did it and there was a jam which I easily removed.  I started everything up and guess what?  You are wrong.  It was working.
Here is the completed box.  It is bigger than what I thought.  It took a long time, several hours, to finish, but it is well built.  I took it in the house to show Carol.  She was impressed.
Another, photo.
Here I put some onions in the box.  It then put some hand grips on both ends.
Carol suggested that I put a divider in.  This I did.  on  the left are copra onions and on the right are large onions of which I have forgotten the name.

I have a couple of ideas to make a box bigger tomorrow.
Back to the dresser drawer.  I shredded most every thing.  There were some birthday cards and two letters from Elizabeth.

This evening I went to a Hemp Grower meeting.  It was a good meeting, but quite long,  I could not hear some of the speakers.    A few people left at 7:30.  I also left.   Some of the growers were asking questions, that didn't apply to me.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment