Followers

Monday, January 6, 2020

More Work on the New Bench

I wanted to get the legs put together on the new workbench.  I had to make a notch in each leg.  Each leg had two 2x4's.  I screwed one to the other one.  I can't make the notch when they are screwed together.  I took them apart.
It was hard to hold the wood to the fence and cut both sides of the notch.  I made a jig which you see in the above picture.  The jig out of a square piece of plywood.  I cut off one of the corners which left a space where I could hold with my right hand.   One the end opposite of the hand I attached a small board.  I can then clamp the leg to the jig and easily cut one side of the notch.  I turn the leg around and cut the other side of the notch.  The width has to match the size of the inserted board.  I made a lot of cuts to get it right.  I still didn't get it right, but I was close enough to make it work.  I spent most of the morning trying to get a perfect fit.  There were a couple where I got a perfect notch. 
I began to build the other legs.   I drilled six holes the first board.  I then counter sunked them.  Last I screwed them together.  I clamped the 2x4's to keep them from moving while I drilled in some screw.  I did the others the same way.

I drove to Fillmore to make a deposit, buy a few groceries, and get another drill bit.  I needed to screw in the caster bolt.   I made a hole in the piece of oak.  It was easy to screw in the caster.
The notch in the first leg was to wide.  When I glue it together I put in some shims.  The photo there is a large going under the notch.  I glued in a shim.   I left it for the night.   I will cut off the ends of the shims tomorrow.  


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment