Followers

Friday, January 3, 2020

Sander Stand Finished Twice

I was anxious to finish the twelve inch sander stand.  I went to the garage right after breakfast and a little news.  I had all the parts for the stand ready and some were screwed together.
The above photo shows clamping the parts together ready to drive in the screws.  I made several mistakes.  When I finished the stand would not sit straight.  I fixed that.  I started to hook the legs and skirt to the top.  At this point it was upside down.   But the sides were not the same  length and neither were not the same length.  I took much of it apart and fixed it.
Each leg had a small part around three inches long.   It had a diameter of about 1 1/2 inches both ways.  There is two screws in each part.  The caster on the left is on the outside edge of the leg, but the one on the right is on the inside of the leg.  I had to move it to the outside edge.
The above phot shows the same legs.  The caster are barely visible.
A bottom view is from the top.  It shows the caster again in the wrong place.  It shows the 2x4 trimmed on each side.  
The caster wood is clearly visible.  It is held to the trimmed 2x4 with two screws.
Again the caster on the right is in the wrong place.
Finally I got it all right.  I put a 2x4 under the top and one on the top and glamped them together.
With the top clamped to the legs I turned it right side up.  I then squared the top with legs and drove four screws into each leg.  It was easy to role around.   Finished at last, boy was I wrong
There was so much saw dust, sticks, and other things on the floor.  I couldn't roll the sander stand across the floor containing so much stuff.  I cleaned everything by the table saw and put most of it in the henhouse nests.  I then cleaned the space below the saw blade.  It was chuck full of sticks and saw dust.  I filled a tote up five times.
I dumped it on the compost pile where earlier I put leave, grass, and paper shreds.  The above photo shows what I had done.
A couple of big dog tracks in the snow on the way to the compost pile.
I finished and did a pretty good job, at least I thought I did.  Boy, was I wrong.  The twelve inch sander was really heavy.  It was on the floor.  I couldn't lift it out of the box.  What did I do.  It cut the box away.  I moved the stand next to the sander and was able to lift the edge of the sander onto the stand then moved it completely.  I rolled it part way and then I could steer it.  I got it over near the front of the table saw.  As the above pictures show the leg on right, the caster collapsed.  Oh no!!
The caster wood was made out of redwood.  That was a mistake that I made.  I noticed it, but I thought that it would hold the casters.  I took all of them off and replaced the with pieces of a fir 2x4.
The hole for the cast is drill in the end.  The caster is screw or twisted into the hole.  That part went quite easily.  I then drilled two holes through the side of the caster piece.
Here is the sander on the stand.  I plugged it in, turned it on and it worked.  I had to just the plate to a ninety degree.  
Towards the end of the afternoon I started to clean the garage.  The above photo shows the garage side door.  I moved threw some of the things in the garbage.  Some others I took out to the shed.  Others, I stacked and still others I put on the shelves to the left.

I spent some time with the hemp crew in house six.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment