Followers

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Prunning, DI, & Christmas Lights.


I am looking for the  Christmas lights.  They were in totes and boxes in several places around the garage.  First I found boxes of magazines and books.   I saved some books that I wanted to keep and re-boxed the rest of them and they are in the trunk of the car. I put some of them in the trunk yesterday afternoon.  Carol and I then drove to Fillmore and left them at the DI.    
This is not much of a picture.  But it is a box of bowels, ceramic mugs, and other things that I didn't dig deep enough to see what they were.  I was going to put a label on this box listing some of the contents inside so I would not have to open the box again.
I have a box of unshelled beans.  It took me about a half hour to end up with a couple of pounds of dry beans.
There is a box of in-threshed seeds of the Salvia Pachyphylla.  Threshing would empty a box and the seeds could be put in a small coin envelop. I could go into detail of the threshing procedure, but ill keep it simple.  I rubbed the in-threshed seed between my leather gloves.  I brought the fan from my bedroom and winnowed.  the chaff blew out and the seeds fell back into the bucket.  I used a sieve to let the seeds  fall through and I discarded the chaff.  I used a fine sieve and the small chaff fell out.  With a straw in my mouth I could blow out the lighter chaff particles.
The wind a couple of days ago had messed up the two wreaths.  I added a few more stems and wired them in.  I have a large needle use for closing burlap bags.  I attached the wire to the needle and pushing it up down through the wreath as was able to make the stems more secure.  I added two stems each with red berries to give a little more color.
It took me a couple of hours to prune the yew bushes.  It looks a lot better.  The picture is of one on the left and the other one on the right.

The nights are a little colder.  I am building an ice display. The photos below show it.

We drove to the Fillmore DI and left there boxes of books and magazines, and a few other things.

I spent the rest of the afternoon putting up the Christmas lights.  I did the Maple tree,  part of the Linden tree, and covered the two yew bushes.  I am about half was finished.  The maple tree is quite tall.  I used an oak stick from last year and made it longer by inserting into a PVC pile.  I had to carve the oak so it would fit into the PVC pipe.  The top of the oak is forked some.
 Below is the connection between the oak and the PVC pipe.  It is cold and my hands were a little shaky.  Hence, fuzzy photos.



Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment