Followers

Friday, November 17, 2017

Viking Stool and Trashing

This morning I cut the seat of the stool out of the wood that I glued together yesterday.  I made a pattern out of a piece of cardboard.   It was half of the stool.  I traced it on one side and turned the pattern over and traced the other side.  I rough cut the wood away and used my belt sander to make the sides fairly smooth.
I carved the seat and tried to make it a little concave.  I used a 'U' shaved draw knife.  I ended up with what is in the photo below.
Drilling the holes or sockets for the leg was somewhat challenging.  The one at the back was drilled from the top with a slight angle to the back.  I did this one using the drill press, but the range was not far enough to go all the way through.  I finished my cordless drill.  The two side ones were hard to have the same angle on both of the.  I used a 1 3/4 spade bit.  I won't know until I put the legs in to determine if they have the same angle.  When I make the next one I will drill the hole with 1/2 inch bit.  I can control the angle with and an adjustable angle copier.  Then the spade bit will follow the hole.
I need to make three legs.  The sockets for the legs are 1 3/4 inches in diameter.  I couldn't find any stock that were wide enough for the legs.  I cut five pieces nineteen inches long from one 2x4 that had minimal knots.  I ripe the pieces and ended up with five boards that were two inches wide.  I then trimmed both sides and glued them together.  The picture below is fuzzy.  From this piece I can cut three legs.
Late this afternoon I emptied a big box of stuff/junk that we brought from American Fork nearly twenty years ago.  There were things that belong to Robert that he had on his mission.  There were pieces of glass that were left over from his leaded glass projects when he was in American fork.  There were some things that come from Lisa's mission.  Elizabeth had some band evaluation papers, I think.  There were a lot of old papers that I used in teaching.  There were also papers that delt with bills that I paid.  There were also bank statements from my dad.  He banked in Delta, Nephi, and Salina.

Carol has been freezing lemon juice at two trays this morning and two trays tonight.  She is finished.  One zip bag full and another zip bag half full.  In the freezer to be use throughout the year.



Comments and questions are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment