Followers

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Untangled Grape Vines

The peonies have pretty much lost their petals and Carol wanted a new vase of flowers.
I picked some alliums and yellow and orange foxtail lilies.  I could carry three of the alliums at a time.  If the flowers touch each other the sometimes stick together and are hard to pull apart without damaging the flowers.
I had some 12 gage wire left over.  I used all the wire in making Toma Hooks.  After several years of making these I developed a way of making them pretty fast.  I can make one in a minute or less with just a little tweaking.  I don't know how many.
I didn't get all of the peas picked and had a bunch of peas that were to old for cooking.  I made some split pea soup.  I boiled the peas for thirty minutes.   The peas soaked up all of the water.  I added more water and then onions, carrots, some sliced ham,and one frozen tomato.  These simmered for about thirty more minutes.  I put them in a blender and mushed them all up.  The above picture, though not too pretty, tasted good.
 I took this picture.  The pea pods are starting fill out.  The trellis is completely hidden by the vines.
The photo above is of one grape vine which is growing in every direction.   I cleaned away all of the weeds to reveal the grape vines.  Further I cut away all of the alliums and weeds growing between the two rows of grapes.
Several of the grape vines died during the winter.  This spring a dozen or so branch started from the roots.  In the picture you can see the last year's stems which I cut off. and the new green stems or branches.  I cut all of them off except one which I tied to the trellis wire.
I started the water down the south row.
This is the first one in the row.
Second
Third
Fourth
And fifth
I tied the single branch to the trellis with a tie from a bread bag.

While I waited for the water to run down the north row of grape vines, I drug all of the old irrigation tubbing to the back lawn under the cherry tree.  I removed all of the fittings.  Tomorrow I hope to take them to the dumpster.  I forgot to get a picture.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment