Followers

Monday, June 3, 2019

Pole Beans, Onions, and Sweet Corn

A lot to do today.  I watched a little of the news while eating breakfast.

Richard came over the first thing this morning and worked on the tiller.  He put a capful of B-12.  It is to clean out the carburetor.   He started the tiller and it was the same.  It sounded like it would get a burst of gas and then all small part of gas.  He thought that we should do some tilling.  He pushed to house six and tilled a strip on the south side.  It worked pretty good.  We then brought it back to house two.
I had four trays of onions that were getting pretty big.  I planted the Walla Walla first.  No pictures yet.  Nest was the Candy onions, and last were the Kelso onions.  The photo above shows the Kelso onions.  I planted two rows in the same wide furrow.  They were about four inches apart.  The Kelso onion is supposed to be the largest onions.    Some of the onions were over twelve inches long.  They were also root bound.  I cut off the tops and the part of the roots.
This shows a six pack of onions.    I had to cut each cell in the six pack to get the plant out.  They were so root bound that they were wedged in the cell.
I cut off the tops of all six plants with my scissors at the same time.
He is a comparison of to plants.  On the left the roots of the onion are not cut.  On the right the roots are cut.
 Here are the Candy onions after being watered.
 I planted the pole beans.  These are planted in the hoop house.  There is one tray of plants.
This shows the hoops and the bean plants on both sides.
Carol and I dug out the weeds around the Irises and in other areas of the garden.
Next is the sweet corn.  I tilled up and down and then back between the two passes with the tiller.
The tiller worked pretty good.  It ran better than it did this morning.
Planting the corn.
Watering the corn.
 More watering.
I prepared some vegetables for Thayne Christenson.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment