Followers

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Almost Finished/Small Table

There are a couple of things that I want to make.  Number one is a can storage system.  I all ready started a table.  I made the legs, the side skirts, then end skirts, and twelve braces several weeks ago.  So don't start a new project, finish the one that I have already started.

Yesterday, I bought five sweet potatoes.  This morning I prepped them for growing slips.  I used three wide mouth mason jars.  The potatoes would fit the narrow mouth jars, but it would be difficult to add water to the jar.
The stem end is up and the root goes down.  I use a sharp nail to hold the top above the edge of the jar.  I push three into each potato in a triangular pattern.
I put them on the table to get a picture a white background.  
I put water in the jar and placed them in the window.  I put a label on the middle jar with today's date. 12-12-2019.  It doesn't show clearly enough to read in the above photo.

I sanded all of the parts except the table top before I put them together.  There were a few saw marks that I was able to remove.
The above pictures shows the side skirts and the end skirts with the braces.
The same parts but from a different angle.
I had drilled all the holes earlier to hold the legs to the skirts.  I tried several times to put a screw through the hole in the leg and into the skirt.  It didn't work out that way very well.  I pinned it to the skirt with my my nail gun and made a mistake.   I did not hold it straight and then pin came out the side.
Attaching the top to the frame was quite a challenge.  I had to apply glue on the underside of the table under the skirts.  I clamped piece of wood on the inside and outside which defined the location of the glue.
The above photo shows leg, skirt, brace, and the table top.   A bead of glue is show because the table to is wrapped some.  The clamps hold it tight until the glue sets.
While the table was upside down I clamped both ends the skirt.  I turned it right side up and clamped the side skirts to the top.  Was tempted to remove the clamps after supper, but did resist and will remove the clamps in the morning.   I should get more photos, but the garage is quite dark.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment