Followers

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Ophthalmologist & Shed

I was up early, showered and put on my best none-Sunday clothes.  Carol had her appointment this morning with her Ophthalmologist.  It was at nine.  We were there five minuets early and the office was closed.  We waited in the bitter cold by the door for awhile.  There were people inside moving around.  Finally, they unlocked the door and we went in.  The receptionist forgot to post Carol's appointment last week, therefore the weren't expecting us.  But, we didn't have a long wait.  The condition of her eye has improved.  She has another appointment 8 January 2020.
There is a sign on the door that says, "closed".  In the top right hand corner, is a lighted sign that says "open".   There was a man waiting for them to open.  We did a little shopping and then came home.  It was about 11:30 when we got home.  It was too late to work on the shed.  I read the weekly paper that we get each Wednesday.  I ate the rest of the soup Carol made last week.
Yesterday, I made a rafter for the shed, I measured wrong and cut it to short.   I started a new one and measured several times.  I had to cut a notch for the headers.  I used my miter saw to cut the notch. I drew a line let me know the depth of the notch.  I had notches on both ends.  They looked pretty ugly
I used a PVC pipe to act as a roller.  I can easily move the 2x4 back and forth remove the waste from the notch.  
I also cut the rafter tails an angle slightly larger than a right angle with the miter saw.  If I cut it a little long, can trim a little off.
I put one end in the space flat.  Then turn it on its edge.  It was too tight.  I used a pipe wrench and was able to get it into place.  With a small sledge hammer, I tapped it to the west to have it directly over the west edge of the corner post.  
The plywood panel was cut to short on one corner.  I carried to the patio where I cut off a little more.
I carried it back to the shed.  I then went back to the house for a couple more tools.  This next step would be easy, if I had another person to help me.  I couldn't hold it in place and at the same time drive in the screws.  I clamped it to the cost and gradually plumbed it.  Finally, drove in some screws.
The above photo shows the nice fit on the north edge.
The base moved some.   I cut a five foot piece of rebar in half.  I could find my metal chop saw, so I used a hack saw.  With the dull blade it took awhile to cut it in half.  I drilled a hole near inch end and hammered them into the ground.  The treated wood footing are held in place.

I made a short wall with two studs on the patio.   I attached the two studs with screws through pre drilled holes
A narrow piece plywood is screwed to the studs.  I carried the wall to the shed and put it into place.  I removed the plywood and plumbed the studs.  I screwed the sole plate into another plate below it.
I put screw through the plywood panels into the studs and the rafter.  The finished section from the inside.
 The photo shows the completed wall from the inside.  I hope to finish the rest of the west wall tomorrow.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment