Followers

Monday, June 29, 2020

More Surprises

We had strong winds for the last couple of days.  Yesterday, most of the plants in the garden were stressed.  The wind caused leaf dehydration fast than the plants could pull up water out of the soil.  This morning I began to water the garden.  But for some reason there was no water pressure.  I immediately walked out to the hemp plants.  There was water running in pads two, three, and four.
 Pad two is in the photo above.  The dark areas is where the water accumulated.  The above photo was taken a couple of hours after I turned off the water.  It run most of yesterday and all night until I shut it off.
I removed this stump of a huge rose.  I hadn't planned to do it.  There were a lot of tall weeds in this area and it was hard to cut them with a shovel.  The stump was in the way. 
I dug under the stump some, and put a heavy pipe lever under it and tried to lift it up.   I wouldn't move.  I pounded it with a heavy slug hammer.  I was able to break off some pieces.  I pounded it several different direction.  I went into the garage and got a Sawzall.  I was able to cut off a little bit more.  Next I got my corded chain saw.  I should have used it first, but I was afraid that I would dull the chain.  I carefully cut off the rest of the stump without getting getting the chain in the dirt.
When finished cleaning up, I covered the stump with soil.

I should have taken this picture yesterday when the wind had the west end of the corn was leaning to the north.  Today it is standing upright.
We had three lemon trees in nursery cans.  One did not survive the winter in the garage.  I threw that one away a couple of weeks ago.  The wind blew over the two survivors.  Carol wanted me to bury them in the ground where they can stand up in a stiff wind.  I pruned all of the dead branches.  That took me over an hour.  I re-dug the two holes put them in. 
Here is a view looking west.  The nursery cans are about half way in the ground.
More tomatoes need to be hung on the above pipe.  The pipe isn't there yet.  I was able to do it faster than the last time.  I drilled the top hole in four pipes.  I then drilled the wholes in the eight foot 2x2's  I found some wood in the pile of wood by the west fence.  It is covered with shrubbery, and took me a whiile to get it out.  I was able to make five of them.
There were a lot of earwig where I dug out the rose stump.  I made three traps with vegetable oil and 
I put the mix in a small paper bowl.   The nursery can on top of it will keep the the cats from drinking it, I hope.
I made two more.  One was by the watermelon plants and this one by some cabbage plants that were siverly eaten.  I didn't bury it in the ground.  I put the cement block on it to keep the cats away.


Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment