Followers

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Baked Red Beets

As soon as breakfast was over I watered the pots and plants on the front porch and in the front yard. We then began the picking of tomatoes in the garden west of our garage.  
There are two rows of tomatoes which we picked.  The vines are over six feet tall.   At least a foot above Carols head.
We pricked all of the tomatoes which filled three  #5 nursery cans.  These we gave to our neighbor, Anne, who gave them to her daughter-in-law.
Carol picked six red bell peppers. She cut them into tiny pieces and froze them.  They will be used for salsa or relish or veggie juice.
The deer were in our garden last night.  There were a few tomatoes partially eaten and tracks in the wet soil.
I picked some lettuce for the chickens.  The came far it as soon as I put the bucket down.  In the bottom of the bucket were a dozen or so of old over grown cucumbers.  I spread the cucumbers around and sliced them with the shove.
I planted the rest of the corn starts.  I think there are thirteen plugs.
I dug some of the larger red beets,  Wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven for about an hour and fifteen minutes at 375 degrees.  I had them for lunch.   I mashed them and added butter, pepper, and salt.  I like them baked much better than boiled.
I also had a beef sandwich with a tomato and lettuce.  It was very good.
 I picked these tomatoes that I call E-18.  They have their own unique taste.  Very easy to pick,
This fuzzy photo is a small carton on that tomato.
I pruned tomatoes in house six and cut away the leaves below the green fruit.  Below the green fruits are ripening fruit.  I did all four rows.
I started the same thing in house one.  House one was a lot worse.  I cut a lot of branches and then the leaves.  I didn't make it very far down a row.
 Black Cherry tomatoes.
I don't know the name of this tomato.  It is a little like a small Roma tomato.  It has a good taste.


Comments and questions are welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment