Followers

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Quick Trip to Provo

A couple of day ago we decided to go to Provo to get some supplies that we are out of or nearly out of.  We planned to leave at nine, but didn't get away until half past nine.  I wanted to take some produce to the post office before we left.  I went out to house two at eight.  I cleaned the top of the table.  That is where I would begin cleaning.
I dug the scallions first and put them in the black bucket to wash off most of the soil.  I pulled the clumps apart and removed most of the soil.  I then pulled of the outside leaves. I pulled the red beats and washed them the same way.
 
I cut of any remaining roots and washed the again in the first white bucket and then they went into the next bucket.  I repeated that process until all the scallions were in the bucket on the right.  Then I washed the beets.  Five beets with their greens are in each bunch and held together with a rubber band.  The same for the scallions.  They were put in the tote on the right end of the table.
I picked a dozen or so tomatoes.  They were washed and put in the tote on the left.  The last thing in the tote are onions.  Not mentioned earlier is one zip bag full of red beets.

We then drove to Provo and bought our  supplies at Sam's Club.  We had lunch at the nearby Chuck o Rama.  We got a some cherry juice concentrate at the Red Barn.
After arriving home I changed clothes and started cutting down tomato plants in house one.  It was so hot I decided to do something else.
I picked the large cucumbers to feed them to the chickens.  I usually open them up with a shovel.  I wanted something much easier.  I made a jig to hold them while I cut the with my radial arm saw.  It worked pretty good, but a little bit dangerous and left the back wall covered with cucumber saw dust.  It really wasn't dust, but it all wet with juice and small parts of the cucumber.
I turned the jig end to end and used a bread knife and safely and easily cut them in half.
The weather is so warm and the wild grasses are growing, I decided to spray the weeds.  I filled the tank three times and sprayed the weeds in the dry garden north of the house; the weeds by the grape plants and weeds in other places.
The above photo shows asparagus on the right and the black tank at the east end of this garden.  
The post holding some of the cucumber vines is leaning to the right.  It may break because of the weight of the cucumbers.  I drove a conduct stake nest to it.
With a zip tie pulled the leaning post against the stake.


Comments and questions are welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment