Followers

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Digging Sweet Potatoes

Rain off and on during the day mixed with a little bit of sunshine late in the afternoon.  I am writing a paper to put on the bulletin board at the post office.  I am recruiting  persons to join our CSA for next year.  I have worked on it several times the last couple of days.  I hope to post it tomorrow.  In the warmer part of the afternoon I decided to dig up one sweet potato.
The roots grow all over and some of the potatoes grow horizontal before growing a tuber.  I carefully removed soil.  So, the photo above shows about three tubers.  I invited Carol to come out and take a look before I dug it up.  I was going to dig the others at a later date.  She felt it best to dig them all, so that is what we did.
I planted three slips plus the mother potato.  This is the mother potato with dozens of small narrow tubers and there were several large ones in the above group.
 Above a the pile of potatoes.  A bunch of large one and more of the smaller ones.
Above is the shovel, the hole, and the red potato roots.
These two have odd shapes.  To me it looks like an L & a J.  Looking at it now I have the J backwards.  It stands for my dad.  Lester Johnson.
I put them in a large orange box that we picked up at Sam's Club.  I am sure that it ways over fifty pounds.
Here the box is in the garage setting on top of two five gallon buckets.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment