Followers

Monday, October 22, 2018

Corn Stalks and Rain


Last week I bought a furnace filer.  Today I put it in the furnace.  I put a date on it so I will not how long it has been in.  It is recommended that the filter be replaced every month.  I think that I will replace it sometime in mid December.  
I filled up this tote with tomatoes, scallions. onions, and beet greens.  This is a sample of CSA weekly box except it would be twice as big.  I took this to the post office.
While I was harvesting the scallions, I noticed the worm dropping on the leaves of a bell pepper plant.  They are the black spots on the left side of the photo.
I then saw this worm attached to the edges of a leaf that it was eating.  It reminded me of a tomato worm,  but this must be a pepper worm.  This is the first time that I have seen any type of worm on our pepper plants.

We drove to Fillmore before lunch for some groceries.  The regular cucumbers were being sold for $.99.  The burpless cucumber were marked at $2.99 each.  We bought two ice cream cones which we ate on the way home.
After lunch I went to work removing the corn stalks.  I removed the twine that was supporting the plants.  It is laying on the ground at the back of the garden.  Then I picked the ears of corn that was two old to be eaten.  I gave some to the chickens.  I cut all the corn stalks.  I took them to the south part of the garden for them to decompose during the winter.  I was raining a little and I got two pairs of gloves that I was wearing wet.
 I made this frame to wind the twine.  There is a handle on the left side where I would hold while I wrapped the twine.  It was too big and hard to wrap.
I made a smaller one and it was much easier to wrap the twine.
I cut down most of the tomato plants in house one,  There is one row left on the far west side.  I may get that tomorrow.
All the tomato clips that ere not broken are to be saved for next year.  While I was doing this we had about ten minutes of hard rain.

After supper we went to the post office to get our tote.  Every thing was gone.  Will fill the tote Wednesday morning take it back to the post office.


Comments and questions are welcome.












No comments:

Post a Comment