Followers

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

First Night of Frost

I get up around 5:30 most mornings and this morning was no different.  The temperature in the house was 66 degrees which is the coldest morning since early spring.  It starts getting light at seven.
The first frost of the fall.  The is the front lawn.  There is not frost under the trees.  I worked at the computer making a list of seeds that I am going to order now for next spring.  I order 300 geranium seeds.  They will be planted around the first of December
We picked beans.  This is most likely our last picking.  I'm expecting them to freeze tonight.  We didn't get a lot, but there is enough for dinner tonight.  We took some vegetable to the Masner's.  We left some hot peppers at the post office.  Most were gone this evening.  In the above picture, Carol is picking beans on the south side of the hoop trellis.
I pruned the lantana, removed the hanging baskets, and moved the purple fountain grass.  One on each side of the door.  We rearranged the other Halloween things.  It looks pretty good.
The lemon trees were buried in the ground.  I dug two up and the other one I pulled it right out of the ground.  The pots and trees were buried last spring to keep them from blowing over.  It worked.  The wind blew and blew and they stayed right were I put them.
I dug up the pomegranate tree, and loaded it on the cart, put it in house two.
A photo from the left side.
And one from the right side.  The photo doesn't show it but it is setting on a large round concrete donut.  The bottom of the nursery can is somewhat convex.  The donut is a stable base.

I turned of the power to the well.  I turned on all the hose bibs at the west end of the garden so the water would drain out of the buried pipes.
I remove the timer and put it away so it would not freeze and break.
The arrow is pointing to the ball valve.  I opened it to let the water drain out.
I dug up the dracaena that we have had for many years.  I drove in three half inch conduit pipes.  One in back and two, one on the left and the other one on the right.  They hold the dracaena straight up.  And every year it gets a little bigger.  To right you see the pomegranate tree on top of the concrete donut.
There may be a hard freeze tonight, so I picked a couple of watermelons.
 And three topaz melons.
And spaghetti squash.


Comments and questions are welcome.







No comments:

Post a Comment