Followers

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Signifcant Shed Progress

I wasn't able to begin work on the shed until this afternoon.  We were at the Manti Utah temple this morning.  It was almost one when we got home.



Image result for bird rafter definition









The image is borrowed.  The notch in the rafter is called the bird's mouth.  I used a jig saw and circular saw to cut the bird's mouth.  It didn't work.  I sort of got one started.   I used a chisel and mallet.  That took a long time.  I put the rafter on the roof and it didn't fit.  I chiseled some more.  I gave up on it and cut a line vertical first cut.  I got something that seemed that it might work.

I clamped the rafters together and drew to lines.  I made a saw kerf on each line about a half inch deep with a circular saw.
  I made repeated cuts.
Here is another photo of the same, but on the opposite end.
I used a chisel to clean the wast.  When I put the rafter on the headers. north end not fit.  There is a faint line to the right of the cut out.  I then removed more wood up to the line.  This time it fit.
Here is a photo of the rafters in place.  I fasted four of them to the north header with screws, and one of them with a lag screw.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment