Followers

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Winterizing Dahlias

 The sun was shining on the dahlias this morning when I went dig them up.  I dug up four, but the ground was so hard that some of the tubers broke and I cut off some some tubers.

What do you do when the ground is hard?  You pour on the water.  I used a small sprinkling water can.  I should have watered them one more time before we turned off the well.  It looked as if I would have to pour on the water the rest of the day.


 I told Carol of the difficulty of digging and would cover them with straw.  I decided not to but decided to cover them with leaves.  I raked some leaves and then began to blow them into a pile.  That worked really well.  I put them on a square of burlap and then dumped them on the dahlias.  I did this several times.  I got the lawnmower and mowed up the on the front and east lawn.  By the time I finished the dahlias we covered deep with leaves.
We were told to trim the trees around the power line that services the greenhouses.  Shane borrowed my electric chain saw and had one of his helpers did the pruning.  The above photo shows cut off branches and the power line.  
I pulled most of the Blue Lake pole bean vines of the tunnel trellis.  A heavy snow would crush the hoops.
Another view of the tunnel.
I removed the trellis pipes and put them away.  

Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment