Followers

Friday, January 26, 2018

Bench Finished Except Stain

Another day in the garage.  I started working again on the piano bench. It took me most of the day to finish.
The bottom of  both legs were not smooth or at a right angle.  I shimmed one of the with a thin piece of wood.  It is glued on with a heavy gear while the glue sets.  

You can't see it but there is a little piece of wood blued to the end of the other leg.  The little clamp is holding it tight.
 The tenon is showing with a small mortise to hold a wedge that holds the trestle tight against the leg.  I had to make a wider mortise and I made several wedges before I got them to fit.
Here the wedge is finished and driven tightly through the mortise.
Attaching the legs to the bench top was another challenge.  I tried the pocket device for pocket holes.  The width was too great.  Finally I used a drill to make my own pocket. There were two on each side.  I used a counter sink to hide the screw head.    
Here is the finished bench.  Except, I have yet to stain it. 
The "Devil's Ice Tower"  is growing again.  There have been several days and night below freezing.  As well as several weeks of below freezing during the night.  I turned the water off as soon as the temperature was above freezing and then back on when the temperature drops below freezing.



Comments and questions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment