Followers

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Didn't Finish

I filled the thirty gallon barrel with fertilizer.  Frank brought some when he came yesterday.  I then  watered all the plants in house two with the fertilized water.  I haven't used fertilizer all winter.

I worked on the piano bench most of the day.  Some of the bench was put together.  I took it all apart. and discovered that I had made some mistakes.  I didn't get enough pictures to give remember most of the details.
There are two legs.  I made mistakes on the bottom and also on the top.  Some of the screws were in the wrong place.  I drilled them out with half inch bit.  I put the plug cuter in the drill press and made eight plugs to fill the holes.  I applied glue to the plugs and put glue in the holes.  With a hammer I tapped each one firmly into the holes.
I held it in the vise and sawed off the plugs. I made a paste with powdered saw dust and Elmer's glue to fill in the drill bit tare outs.   I shaved a little off the edge which cleaned up nicely.  There were two that were not were not dry enough.  That is for tomorrow.
I had a nice weathered four foot long 2x4 I trimmed both sides to 2x2 3/4.  The saw started to spark.  There were four grabber nails hidden in the wood.  I used that board for something else; I drove a screw in it and the head broke off leave the screw shaft in the wood.  Over the years the entrance hole disappeared.  I then planned the two flat surfaces.   Next I put the legs into position to accurately measure the cross piece that connects both legs.  A tenon has to be made to fit the hole, the mortise, I used the table saw sled to make the tenon on one end.  I used the saw and a hand saw for the other one.
The above picture is where I gave up for the night.  I could not hook the upper bracket to the bench top.  One screw was to long and another screw was to short.  I am considering using pocket screws tomorrow.
Day two of the second week.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment