Followers

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Piano Bench Starting to Take Shape

We were at the Manti Temple all morning and were home by 2:30 this afternoon.  I went to the garage and began work on the piano bench.  All of the lumber is glued together.  Today I sanded, planed, and cut out all the parts.
This is the bench top and two support brackets, shoulders, that are attached with two screws each.  I spent a lot of time sanding this with my belts sander.
There are two legs which are seven inches wide and eleven inches tall.  I wanted to cut mortise for the brace between the legs. 
I cut the leg in half and then with my table saw sled I nibbled away the a dado in both halves.  The first one took quite a while.  I was in rhythm on the second one and it went much faster.  
Here the leg is on its side.  It hasn't been glued together.
I smoothed out most of the saw marks with a fine cut rasp.
I applied glue and clamped the two haves together.  I did the same for the other side.
I had cut out the foot and the shoulders.  The foot is on the bottom of the leg and the shoulder is attached to the bottom of the bench top.   Using the miter sled, I cut a short miter on both ends of the shoulder and foot to make it look a little better.  The photo above show a miter being cut.  


Thumb is beginning to heal. Tonight it has a good scab.   I worked most of the afternoon wearing leather gloves.



Comments and questions are welcomed.






No comments:

Post a Comment