Followers

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Another Day of Unplanned Activities

One of the strangest things happened this morning when I got up.  It was a little cool this morning and thermostat indicated a temperature sixty-eight.  I removed the fan from the window in the front room.   Light was approaching from the east.  As I walked through the kitchen I saw ants crawling on the kitchen counter.  I began slapping them with both hands.
One half of a cantaloupe wrapped with Press'm Sea; was sitting on the counter.  It was full of ants.  I grabbed a large bowel and put it upside down over the cantaloupe trapping the ants.  When Carol got up I lifted the bowel to show her.  Some mornings there are no ants; other days there are just a few; and still other days there is up to a dozen.  As soon as the ants become aware of our present, they scatter and run for cover.

I placed sticky tape on all four sides.  The bowel was lifted.  Most ants stuck to the, but there were a few that made it a cross the tape.  We then started killing the ants with our hands.
I took the cantaloupe outside to take some pictures before I feed it to the chickens.  The above photo shows the ants in the cantaloupe. 
It is amazing how the ants could find their way through the Press'n Seal to get to the meat on the inside. 

I watered the baskets and pots in the front yard.  I turned water on the garden, but there was no water pressure.  I walked out to the nursery.  Shane was watering the hemp plants.  I turned off the garden water except one hose.  I fertilized the east lawn and the back lawn.
 The spreader had been in the rain a little and the controls were all stuck.  I cleaned the hopper with water and put WD-Forty on the moving parts.  I got them all working.  The fertilizer was lumpy.  I dumped the bag on the driveway to break the lumps.  I screened out the lumps on the second load.  I was able to do all of the back lawn.
There was a larger spreader out in the back that has been in the weather for about ten years.  All of the moving parts were stuck  as if they were frozen.  This time it was WD-Forty that saved the day.  The back legs were made out of tubing that bent to make that were badly bent and corroded.  I removed four bolts.  One broke and it took a small hack saw cut through it and a punch to remove it.
I searched the internet trying to find a part.  I called Steve Regan to see if they hand any idea what it was called.  It was called Big Foot by Prizelawn.  I found places where i could buy a new spreader.  It cost about $800.00.  I decided to make two legs out half inch conduit.
I couldn't make look like the one that broke.

  I cut two piece to the proper length.  I drilled a hole in each end an bent them the right shape.  The photo shows how it looks.

One tire won't hold air.

I did a lot of weeding and just before dark I started the water on the back lawn.

Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment