Followers

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Fixing the Corn

After breakfast and the news, I picked all of the early corn.  I shucked some for us and Carol washed it and put it in the fridge.  I didn't want to shuck all of it.  We decided to give some to Raymond and Anne Stephenson, rest went to the post office. 
Some ears were pretty good size and some were quite small and not completely pollinated.   We drove to Fillmore for some medication and I bought two turnbuckles.
The rain and the wind tipped most of the corn over in the south garden.   This is the north side of the corn patch.
 This is the south side of the corn patch.  There are two rows planted close together.  Some is starting to tassel.
Last night I killed a lot of the yellow jackets.   I smashed them on the driveway.  I put some in the garbage, and even this morning they were crawling out of being double bagged.  I sprayed them again with WD-40.
Here is the north side fixed.   I tried to straighten them up buy grabbing the stalks and pulled the straight.  They wouldn't stay straight.   I drug twin down the middle and then used conduit stakes to hold up the twine.
I did the same with the south side.
I had stakes on both ends and the twine stretched tite between them.
I had to put a series of stakes down the rows.  I corn was pushing outward.  I used tie wire to pull the corn more inward.  I wrapped it around the stake.
I couldn't tighten the compression coupler so this afternoon I took it off.   The treads in the coupler were full of dirt.
I washed them, scrubbed them, and used a small nail to remove the hard mud/dirt
I put it back together and guess what.  I turned on the water and no leaks.

No pictures, but I put up one more tie wire for the cucumbers in the north garden.  There will soon be burpless cucumbers.
Beautiful flowers in the kidney.

Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!






No comments:

Post a Comment