Followers

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Damage by Deer

The first thing this morning I turned of the sprinklers on the west lawn.  As we were preparing breakfast, I turned on the trailing sprinkler.  I heard a large crashing noise, but it didn't concern me much.  
This is what the noise was about.  Apparently the deer were next the tomato plants hanging from an overhead wire.  The sprinkler was out of view of the deer but close enough to scare them.  The jumped to the south and tore down all of tomatoes and then landed on the lumber.
This is the first time that they have eaten a cucumber.
This is how a couple of the tomato plants looked.  My first thought was to leave them on the ground and pick them as they get ripe.
Later in the morning I decided to hang them back up.  Two of the pipes that were holding up the plants were bent.  I found three conduit pipes of the right length and pounded them into the ground where uprights were.  I wired the 2x2 to the conduit.
I wire it at the top and bottom with tie wire.
In the confusion one of my Topaz melon vines broke off at the root.  It is a dead plant.
I worked all afternoon on plant tunnels.  I removed the wire from the heating benches that were in house two.  I removed the welded wire from two of the benches.  There was a forty foot bench in house two.  It was cut into four pieces.  I removed the welded wire from one yesterday and built two tunnels.  Today, I used the last piece.  Instead of sixteen inch 2x2's, I used three sixteen inch pieces of wire.  
I sprayed morning glory with round-up.  To protect the bush bean plants I covered them with nursery pots.  Later I covered these same bush bean plants with the tunnels that I have been making.
In get the wires the same length, I made this jig that helped me get the three wires at the same length.  I made hooks on both ends which would hold both edges of the hoop wire at sixteen inches apart.
The wire and the jig.
I put a weight on one end of the wire and used a four food ruler to measure thirty-six inches.
I cut the twenty-four wires with a small wire cutter.  There is one more to cut.
I used the four foot ruler to find the center wire of I should say the center space.
This tunnel is on the grass.  It is hard to get a good photo on the concrete driveway.
A view from the end.  The black tire wire is barely visible on this end of the tunnel.
I made this one yesterday.  It has the sixteen inch 2x2 at each end and the sixteen inch wire in the middle.
Last of all, got this picture of the grapes turning into raisons.  I covered them with a piece of plywood in case we have some rain during the night.  It was cloudy with some thunder.

Please LIKE, SHARE, and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment