Followers

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Preparing for the Hard Frost Tonight

We started the veggie juice the first thing this morning.   Yesterday Carol had the tomatoes washed and waiting on the counter.   She began the process of of juicing them.  I went out to the garden to find some more tomatoes.   I found only a handful.  

We got eight quarts.  She put four in the canner and fifty minutes later she took them out and put the next four an cooked them for another fifty minutes.  It sprinkled most of the morning.  I was in the house most of the morning.  We are expecting freezing temps tonight.  I worked all afternoon covering most of the plants in the garden.  The following pictures are of the things that I covered.

These are out of order.  This is the last picture I took this evening.  I laid the pomogrante down and covered it with burlap.  I covered the geraniums frost protecting fabric. 
Here is a close-up.  It has been a challenge put the frost protection sheets because of the blowing wind.  I held the corners down with bricks.  The burlap is probably heavy enough unless there was a hard wind.
Here I covered the dahlias.  The wind is holding the fabric do the west side.  I put down bricks to hold it from blowing away.   I was hard to cover most of the plants.  It would be much easier if someone else was helping.
The above photo is the covering the watermelons and bush beans.  I used large pieces of black weed barrier and burlap.  The burlap was much easier. 
This is the south garden.  I covered cucumbers and bush bean plants.
Back to the north garden.  I put a sheet of frost protection fabric that was wide enough to go over the top and hang on both sides of the tomato plants.  On the left of the picture is burlap covering bush bean plants.  The far end are the zucchini plants.  We ate zucchini today for supper.
I cut a hole in the edge of a piece of burlap and hooked it on the conduit.  That covered one side.  I did the same with another piece of burlap to cover the other side.

Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment