Followers

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Elmer's Wood Putty

I built a stool, but didn't have a good piece of plywood for the seat.  I found the rough looking piece.  I wanted to put a seat but didn't want to wait for a trip to the hardware store.
You can see that this is pretty rough.  It had been out in the weather for who knows how long.  The some plies have come apart. I found some a container of old Elmer's putty.  It was pretty hard, but not like a brick, but pretty close.  Where did I go to see if I could salvage it?  Yes, if you guessed You Tube you were right.  I used a combination of several different words and finally found videos with different ways of softening it up.  One used Vaseline.  It softened the putty.  There were comments questioning the effectiveness of this solution.  There were others.  One comment mention using water.  A light turned on in my head.  Adding water to Elmer's glue will thin it down some what.

I got my hard Elmer's wood putty and put in it some water.  I mixed it up and it got much softer but it was pretty lumpy with a lot of had chunks it.  I the lid back on and went to some other projects.
This sweet potato cutting has ben in a quart bottle of water for over a month.   The bottle is off to the left.  I put it in a square pot and filled it with potting soil.  Then put the pot in a tote filled with water.
A couple of weeks ago I was digging weed around one of our peony plants and found short live stem with a little bit of dried up root material.  This morning I notice the stem  grown some and leaves were beginning to form.  I wanted to use my Delta Thickness planer to prepare the stem, the base and the top.  I was having trouble getting a good smooth side.  I went to You Tube again.  I found one that had nine episode.  The total length was over three hours long.  The man had bought a old Delta planer.  He took it completely appart, cleaned all of the pieces, and put it back together again.  I skipped a lot of it and spent about and hour.  I tried to fix mine to get a smooth surface, but it didn't help.

I took a 2x2 and trimmed them to width on my table saw.  I have cut two many screws and result of that the blade won't cut a smooth edge.
I started a new project.  I copies a pedestal stand that I made last year.  Here is the base.   I glued together the base.  I came back to the putty.  I removed the screws in the seat and counter sunk each hole and then replace the screw.  I started to fill the holes with the putty, but it didn't stick.  I added a little more water.
I filled the holes and cracks.  It has dried some and in the morning I will sand it with my orbital sander.  If it works, I will remove screws in the legs, counter sink and putty them.  If everything goes well I will paint the stool.

We had rain during the day.  The forecast for weather tonight is freezing temperature.  I covered up all of our plants.


Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment