Followers

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Weeds & Cole Cropa

As soon as it was light I walked out the garden to see if I had caught any earwigs.  I set out a water trap and a vegetable trap.  Most of the water was gone.  I think that some cat had drank the water.  There was no oil.  And there were no earwigs either.  When it gets light the earwigs hide.
A lot of Morning Glory or sometimes called bind weed growing under the hoop tunnel.  I decided to cover them with weed barrier fabric.  I pressed one edge into the damp soil to hold it in place.  The brick were there to keep the wind from blowing it.

 This photo shows it completed.  The piece was not wide enough to reach all the way across.  That didn't matter.  Morning Glory was not growing on the south side.  The right side in this picture.  I pressed the edge on the right side into the wet soil.  I used spikes and washers to hold the left down.
I dug a small trench under the edge on the east end.   I drove the spikes through the barrier to hold the edge below grade.
Then I covered up the edge with soil.    There is no photo of the west end.  The west end of the barrier was a little short.  I put a patch on it.  I drove spikes around all the edges to hold it down.
I took a picture of the earwig damage suffered by the plant.  I put it on Face Book hoping to get some solutions.
Warm weather brings humming birds.  We put up the humming bird feeder.
The Topaz Melons are beginning germinate.  I circled one of them.  The seeds are nearly ten years old.
I planted twenty-two cole crops in a raised bed.
I dug up a lot of weeds.  I getting this spot ready direct seeded sweet corn.
Several people stopped by during the day to get pots and trays.

Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment