Followers

Monday, April 13, 2020

Cold Day in Holden

It was a lot colder last night.  Yesterday morning the inside temperature was 68 but this morning it was 65 degrees.  The furnace has been running most of the day.  I was cold outside all day, but sometimes the clouds blew away and it was pretty warm in the shining sun.

I have a couple of large pictures that I wanted to frame.  I watched a couple of videos on making picture frames.  One video had a link to building a table saw jig to cut perfect miters. I watched it and then watched some selected segments again.  put my miter jig on the table saw and cut two miters and glued them together.  I used my speed square to check the 90 degree.  It was off a couple of degrees.  I loosened one screw of the right side of jig.  I took out the other screw.
I could have adjusted it from either side, but the right side seemed to be easier.
It is already fixed in the above photo.  The speed square is setting on top showing how the square is used to get the right angle.   I did cut another piece of wood and glued the two mitered edges together.  My speed square showed that it is better than it has ever been.

My mother and dad bought us a rocking chair  when we adopted Richard and Robert was born ten months later.  Sometime during our moves from house to house one of the of the back turning was broken.  I thought that I would fix it.  It has been under the house for years.  I brought it up and put it in the garage.  Four or five months ago I did some cleaning in the garage and took it back to the crawl space under the house.  This morning brought it up and put it on the patio were a remove the broken piece out of the seat of the chair.  
The tenon broke off even with the seat of the rocker.  I used a large bit in my drill and was able to remove some of the broken piece.  I used several chisels to remove the rest of it.  I pounded quite hard and broke of some pieces under the rocker seat.
This is the bottom of the seat.  The white part is where some of the seat broke off.  I put some Elmer's glue on the white area.
 I broke off two pieces.  I put the larger piece in place and held it tight with a pair of clamps.
 The second piece is held in place with a small speed clamp.
I found a nice piece of oak.  I need a piece nineteen inches long. I then cut it to the right width.  I used a shaver to take off the corner.  I drilled a hole in the center of each end and mounted it in my lathe.  I took the lathe out to the patio.  It took me quite awhile to get it mounted properly on the two folding saw horses.  I got the motor hooked up and it ran the lathe backwards.  All I had to do was to turn the motor around.   I did that and everything went okay.  I started on the left end.  Tomorrow I hope to finish it.
I fried the frozen asparagus in olive oil.  It tasted very good.  
The low temperature is expected to drop to eighteen degrees by eight this morning.  I had four foot piece of weed barrier on the space to the right of the peas.  I pulled out the spikes on the right side.  I left the spike on the left sided.  I then pulled the whole thing to cover the peas.  weights were put on top of it to hold it down.  The above photo is looking east.  I described it from the east end looking west.
I covered the beets with burlap.  They are barely up.
Some of the radish plants looked like they froze last night.  I covered them also with burlap.
I also covered the strawberry plants.


Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment