Followers

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Ready for Cucumbers

I started to water the lawns before breakfast. 

The chickens were locked up for their first night.  This morning I let them out of the hen house.  I didn't take them long to get into the chicken run.  The first thing they did was eating the grape leaves. 
They were all around the chicken run scratching around and what looked like they were tasting things on the ground.
Another photo of the same thing.
A couple of days ago, I removed all of the soil in this raised bed.  I put the soil east of the bed and some on the lawn.  This morning I cleaned it out and then moved the frames.  After a little more cleaning I laid down some black plastic.  It looked like it might be too small.  I looked at the black plastic in house three.  There wasn't a piece the right size.  I went back to the raised bed and used the piece that I had.  I laid it down and put the frame on top of it.  I then shoveled all of the soil back in which looks like the photo above.   I put the sprinkler next to it and turned on the water.  I let it run for over an hour.

I began working on a trellis for the burpless cucumbers.  I first dug a furrow so I could water all of the plants.  I filled it full of water.  Later in the day I made a pair of 2x2 poles about nine feet tall.
I attached some plywood strips to each side.  You will notice why a little later.  I drove two tee posts near each end of the furrow.  The above photo shows what I did.
I put the black pipe on top.  I will trellis the cucumbers to that pipe.
I wired the posts with tie wire in several locations to hold them secure.
The side pieces of plywood keep the black pipe from falling off.

Please LIKE, SHARE and LEAVE A COMMENT! We want to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment