Followers

Monday, August 13, 2018

Hot Day for Making Raisons.


The female flowers of the  cucumbers plants are blooming and tiny cucumbers are developing.
More evidence of deer in our garden.  The leaves on these grape plants have been eaten.  It looks like there are new leaves forming.
The grapes are getting ripe and the wasps are sucking the juice out of them.   I made the screen several years ago. It is four feet long and two feet wide.  It was in bad shape so I strengthened if with some metal corner braces.  I re-stretched the screen and put strips of wood to hold it secure.  I put some quart bottles under it which prevents ants from getting in the grapes.
I filled this container four times.  I had to trim some branches away to get at all of the grapes.
The dryer or raisin maker is filled.  I removed the larger stems and leaves.  The bottles underneath hold the dryer off the table top.
 There is a wasp inside the circle.  
I cut a sheet to fit the top of the dryer to prevent the wasp from dinning.  
 I made a new cover.  On the other one there are openings on the edges that might let the wasps in.
I put small dabs of honey on both ends of the table.  That should attract the wasps.  I can get them with a fly swatter.
The cucumber vines are getting so big and growing all over the place.  There are many branches and growing to the left and to the right.
I cut them down and planted some new ones.  I will put the trellis up a little later.
I have some greenhouse eggplants.  I planted them today.  I made the hole eighteen inches apart. 
I watered them with a bucket.  The drip tape will give them a daily watering.
I was visiting with Wade Lemon across the street from us.  He is an expert on deer and elk and other game animals.  I wondered if he knew how to keep the deer out of our garden.  He didn't.  He was picking apples from his fruit trees.  By picking them there is less chance of limb breakage.  I thinned out some peaches for the same reason and to have larger peaches.  They won't be ripe for another month.
I have three greenhouse bell pepper plants.  The were really droughted.

I picked up the windfall apples and put them in front of the truck to see if the deer would eat them.  If I fill them full of apples, they may stay out of our garden.


Questions and comments are welcome.






   




No comments:

Post a Comment