Followers

Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Stirrup Hoe is Lost no More

I did the watering and other morning chores.  While watering I found the stirrup hoe.  It was in house two laying flat next two the 2x6 on the west end of the raised bed.  There is a plant which I water at least once a day and watered the middle of the handle at the same time.
I transplanted another tray of red beets.   I transplanted the first half of the beets from the other side of the raised bed.  I have a hard time kneeling.  I made six holes with the dibbler, then I removed some of the beet plugs from their tray, then put the plugs in the hole.  I moved to the other side and made thirty holes.  I removed all the plugs from the tray.  I could then quickly put a plug in each hole.  When finished I watered them.  I finished before it got too hot in house two.

I did a lot of pruning in house one.  Some of the vines numerous branches.  Many of them were over five feet long.  I picked some nice gladiator tomatoes.  We drove to Fillmore for some groceries.  We stopped at Cluff's for a take home lunch.  I gave them the tomatoes with the intent that they might order some.  They said thanks and we came home.
I pulled some of the older red beets.  I washed them and made a group of five beets.
I wrapped them in  plastic wrap and put them in the garage fridge.  I wonder if the will keep fresh for three days.
I harvested two more beets.  One is wrapped and the other is not wrapped.  They are pretty much the same size.  Both of these are in the fridge.  I will see how they look each day.  When we harvest we may not have to wrap them.  Especially if they go to market on the following day.
The wind is blowing in the right direction for cutting down some of the trees.  That is from the south west.  I don't want any falling across the neighbor's fence.   Two stumps are left in the above photo.
The picture above is of a few other trees.  One tree is leaning to the south.  I was afraid to cut it down. The chain come off the bare.  It took me some time to get it fixed and back to cutting.
This small Utah Juniper has been growing here for five or six years.  I caught in the sunlight.  It has about six inches of new growth.  It is under a plum tree and must have been planted by a bird.
A cucumber blossom with a small fly on the right petal.  There is a tiny ant between the two bottom petals.  It is a little bit of a dark spot at the cleavage.  I wondered how that tiny ant made it way up them stem two the flower.
We harvested more dill.
The grapes continue to dry.  Over half of them are dry.
I have been setting on a lawn chair to do weeding and attaching the trellis string to the bottom of the tomato plants.  The chair is a little to low too get up and too large to fit between the rows.  I began making a stool which will be about twenty inches high.   The photo show the four legs and one rail.  The other rails are made.  They are made with eight inch 2x4's.   The legs are made out of two twenty inch 2x4's ripped in half.   I expect it will take about an hour to finish it in the morning


Comments and questions are welcome.









No comments:

Post a Comment