Followers

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Planting, Fixing,& Weeding

After breakfast and news I began work in house two before it gets very hot. 
 Robert and Frank planted bunch onions sometime in January or February.  Some got transplanted and are sold.  I transplanted the rest of them this morning.
The next job was transplanting the Detroit Red Beets that have been growing in house three.  Those on the left were transplanted about three weeks ago.  I plant a tray every week with 105 cells.  I will also be transplanting every week.
There is some dill weed growing in the garden,  Carol harvested it.  I watered some that hadn't been watered all year.  It should flourish in a few weeks.
I pruned all of the tomato plants in house six.  I went to house one to prune.  The first tomato plant in row two was on the ground.  Hung it back up and found that all of the tomato plants in row two were on the ground.   Early this spring that wire was broken.  I splice the ends together by wrapping the two ends together.  The weight of the tomatoes pulled splice apart.  I wondered how I would be able to lift all the tomato plants back on top of the poles.  I pulled the wire out from both end.  I then hooked them together again by making one loop and then the second loop by going through the first one.  I the loosened a turnbuckle most of the way.  I hooked the turnbuckle to the eye screw and put the wire through the eye on the other end of the turnbuckle and pulled it tight.  Next I put the wire in the groves at the top of the post.  All I had to do after that is hang the tomato plants to the wire.
For lunch I had a bacon tomato meatloaf sandwich.  
I found some wasp and hornet poison.  It is supposed spray twenty feet.  It didn't spray ten feet.  The comments on the internet mainly said that it wasn't effective.
A couple of years ago I planted carrots in this raised bed.  I was low on soil.  I found soil and used potting soil and hauled it in the wheelbarrow.
Later I turned on the water and soaked it.
Several weeks ago I put tree basket upside down on the tomato plants.  I thought that most of the tomato plants were determinate, but seems that I was wrong.  I drove a seven foot half inch conduit into the ground through the center of the basket.  I made sort of a six inch umbrella on top and a spike that through the umbrella into the conduit.  That should hold the tomato plants upright.
We found squash bugs in our squash plants which we killed.  The was a large pumpkin vine which was killed by squash bugs.  I dug up the plant, stacked it in one place, and covered it with weed barrier.  I secured the edges,  The squash bugs in it cannot escape.  
I weeded in the southwest garden.  There was a Topaz melon a little bigger than a tennis ball.  I run water down the row and from my hands an knees I was able to pull up the weeds.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment