Followers

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Building Stool Differently

I got an early start working in the garage this morning.  I cut some of the poor pieces of wood into smaller pieces of fire wood.  I came across a hard wood handle for a hoe or some other garden tool.
I had whole bunch of shovels or spades with missing or broken handles.  One of those was setting on my workbench.  I carved the handle some and force in the handless spade.  I sharpened it and went out to the garden were if cut weeds.  The above photo shows the shovel.
I filled the two wheel, wheel barrow with pots full of soil.
I dumped them where I am going to plant strawberries.
The chickens were out of Hen Scratch.  I opened the bag.  It is usually easy to pull the string and open the sack.  I finally had to use a knife and scissors to open it.   I wanted to make another stool and build in a little different way.  I would begin by making the rails and put them together first.  I got two four foot 2x4's and ripped them into two 3.5x 1/2 inch slabs.  I first made the leg pieces.  There were eight of them.  Any pieces left over would be used for the rails.  I made four sort ones and four longer ones.  I glued the two short rails together and secured them with my pin nailer. And I did the same with them also,

I opened both doors because there was a brisk wind coming from the south.  I intended to blow out all of the sawdust.  I left for awhile and when I came back the two chickens walked out through the garage to the front yard.

I put them together and glued and pinned them to make a box. Then I glued and pinned the legs to the box.
and ended up with the stool with out a seat.
I made the seat by ripping another 2x4.  I cut them in twelve inch pieces.   I glued and pinned one on one side and the other on the other side.  I cut my  finger by holding the wood against the fence. I was shaving a little off the last piece.  The piece was a little narrow and I cut th edge of my finger.   The last  The above picture was taken in the garage with the south door open.
I to the stool outside and got this picture.
I made two narrow strips and glued and pinned them to the rails.
Then the final piece for the middle.  I trimmed the edges by putting the stool upside down on the table saw.
Here it is finished.  I chamfered the edges for a finished look.  If I used new redwood, I think that I could make these in less than an hour.
The is the one if made yesterday,  I used a half inch piece of plywood for the seat.  I also chamfered the seat with my router.


Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment